Thursday, March 09, 2006

Freeroll Fever

After getting kicked in the teeth repeatedly in my regular live tournament games this past friday and saturday night by tourists with insanely high luck-to-skill ratios, I decided I needed to really work on my play against loose-aggressive idiots, and immediately set out to find some.

Enter the PartyPoker WSOP Freerolls!

At the time I decided to play some Party Poker Freerolls for the donkey-shoot warmups, I didn't realize PartyPoker had started this extravaganza, but I'm sure glad they did.

My first attempt in the 9:57pm qualifier on Sunday night yielded a finish of 101st of 3500. Encouraged (and still wanting the practice / ego boost) I continued in the same event the next two evenings for (not as high, but equally enjoyed) finishes of 178th and 180th, leading up to last night's finish at 3480th of 3500 after my AKo raise in the first hand was called by a 64o and a healthy rainbow flop of A64. I got just what I asked for.

I retired to the couch to spend the rest of the evening reading Sklansky, but couldn't get my mind off what I'd just done, and after awhile decided to give it another shot.

As soon as the top 50 was reached, I (SlitheyTove on PP... don't tell anyone) walked away irritated by the all-in fest that ensued, because I would have liked to play it out. Amazingly, I had blinds covered far enough into the short-lived end of the tourney that I discovered I had finished in 3rd place overall when I woke up this morning.

Some complaints... I hate PartyPoker's software as it is, and often wonder what's wrong with the people who designed the way that table moves are handled, but why this particular tournament didn't just end at 50 (like the earlier levels of a shootout) is beyond me. Even more annoying, it continued in hand-to-hand mode, and everytime an "away" player moved tables, the "away" flag was reset. I feel bad for the few players that stuck around to clean up, despite the fact that there was no small bonus or the like for first place to make it worth the effort, or encourage good play.

Wish me luck on Saturday, I'll certainly need it, but if I don't win I think it'll still be fun as an exercise to repeat the attempt next week. I just hope I don't muck up my regular play with all the slumming.

-Tommy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home