Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Marathon

Today was supposed to be the publishing date for "Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategies for No Limit Tournaments, Vol. III--The Workbook", which I pre-ordered, but my shipment now has an estimated delivery date of June 10th. This especially annoys me because I ordered 4 other books at the same time and accidentally chose "ship together".

...

I will never forget the time I ran a marathon. At the end I swore I would never do it again, and I can safely say that my word has remained good, and I have no reason to believe I will ever break that vow. 26 miles is about 6 miles more than the average body can handle, which is of course the point.

Starting Saturday night and carrying through most of Sunday, I played live poker for 26 hours straight.

In the hopes of conditioning myself for the WSOP, and just to see if I had what it takes, my original plan was to play poker for 24 hours straight, and then enter a tournament to see if I could still play well. I made it 2 hours into the tournament, but just didn't get the cards to finish. I did, however, learn a lot, and I will be posting more on the topic soon.

When it was all over, I'd lost just shy of $400. I was prepared to lose $1000 before calling the attempt a failure, so I partly feel like I came out ahead, but it would be a lot better to have actually won. A large part of my losses can be attributed to getting stuck playing 2/4 limit 6 or 7 handed for about 6 hours of the night due to it being the only table open.

You can't beat that game.

-Tommy