Friday, July 07, 2006

7/7 = Super Birthday Luck Powers(tm)

It's my birthday, and my Super Birthday Luck Powers(tm) are in full effect. I've cracked pocket aces twice already this morning, once with a well timed 8To bluff. When you're born on the 7th hour of the 7th day of the 7th month, you're gonna grow up to be a gambler. I can't imagine what a powerhouse of luck I would have turned out to be if I had been born next year instead.

I headed up to the Bellagio a little after eleven last night to see if any of the blogger crew that are in town were about, but didn't recognize anyone. I didn't actually expect to, but figured it wouldn't hurt to stop by on my way to the Rio to see the Hellmuth heads up match in progress.

I ran into Pauly in the hallway on the way in to the Rio, but he didn't have time to talk, being on his way to piss and needing to get back to covering the game before it was over. It was because of his coverage that I was even there, but since his posting had slowed down in the evening, I joked with him that it was his lack of coverage that brought me there. "That's because nothings fucking happening in there man.", he replied. I lost track of him after that.

I don't care if Phill Hellmuth is a whiny "brat" or not, I really wanted to see him win, the way that I always want to see skill win out over luck (yes, despite my Super Birthday Luck Powers(tm)). Knowing that there are people like him is the sort of thing that helps me keep my head together everytime that some total idiot makes an awful bet or call and sucks out on me on the river. I need to see the pro beat the guy playing in his first live tournament ever. Sadly, I didn't get to see it last night. Maybe Chan will pull it off for me tonight in the stud tourney.

As soon as I finish this post, I'm headed down to the MGM, but not for the reasons most would expect. The poker bloggers are all meeting down there tonight, but through sheer coincidence, it is also the place where I put my mother up for the weekend, being the closest strip hotel to my apartment. I arranged the trip here to vegas for her a few months ago, when she told me she was getting married, which happened yesterday. I haven't met the guy yet, but she seems very happy, so I suppose I'll be nice to him. I'll probably stop by the poker room to see if anyone is around, but one of the side effects of spending the majority of my life as a drifter is that I've only seen my mom 5 times in the last 10 years, so the chance to spend time with her wins over a bunch of people I don't know very well is a no brainer.

I don't know if I'l make it to the big blogger tourney at ten oclock in the eaarly fucking morning tomorrow (I'll likely be getting done drinking just an hour or two before that), but I am gonna try. If only because there is bound to be a lot of dead money on the tables from people with little to no live experience.

If not, maybe I'll finally run into someone at the Poker Dome show. Strangely, my second passion after poker is domes. There is one (obviously not erected) on the floor under my desk as I type. Seriously.

That's all for now, and if I hadn't mentioned it already, it's my birthday.

-Tommy

1 Comments:

Blogger Yoyo (Poker Poison) said...

Nice meeting you Tommy.

Catch me online sometime for a HU match!

5:42 PM, July 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home