Monday, July 03, 2006

Around Here, We Call That a Weekend

new bartender: "You guys out on some kind of a bender?"
roommate: "What's a bender?"
new bartender: "When you drink heavily for a few days straight."
roommate: "Oh, around here we call that a 'weekend'"


My name is Tommy and I'm an alcoholic, albeit a highly functioning one. I don't have much time today, but I need to write this fast and lengthy post from work just to get some of it out before I lose it, or as usually happens, lose interest in posting it.

I blame Full Tilt and their cushy room with free beer for starting this weekend off all wrong (exactly right). It was in that room that I demanded the gentlemen that looked exactly like my roommate "Hold my fucking beer for a minute, fucker."

Of course, he only looked exactly like my roommate when I wasn't looking at him. When I turned my head in his direction, he actually looked exactly like someone who was not my roomate. As it was, he took it well, and handed both me and my roomate $50 gift certificates for Titan Poker.

That may have been a mistake.

On the back of these cards was one of those scratch off area hiding the bonus code that grants the owner a free $50 when creating an account for Titan Poker. Later, at another bar, we scratched off these areas to reveal that they had the exact same code, and out of curiosity, we gave the code away to half a dozen friends, all of which have recieved the $50 with no problems. This isn't some kind of first deposit bonus, or anything like that, it's just $50. When I created the account, I tried to withdraw the cash immediately, but got an email the next day saying I need to accumulate 2500 points first, so I plan to do that later to get my free money.

The code is "44F2F". I don't know if there is anyway to use it if you've already got an account. As a matter of full disclosure, I stand to gain absolutely nothing from use of this code. You're welcome, pass it on.

The next morning, I was a bit groggy when I got up a little after noon, and decided that I wanted to play an MTT on party, but given my mental condition opted to throw my money away on a small stakes game, and bought into the first $6 tourney I saw. Three hands into it I caught pocket Queens UTG and went for a standard 3BB raise when I suddenly realized I'd fucked up and bought into a limit tournament. Pissed off, I decided to go ahead and play it somewhat seriously since I'd already paid the price of admission, and somehow donked my way into 3rd place for a win of $427.

I'm not sure why, but it seems that whenever I play in limit tourneys, I do well. I think it's because the type of people who play in low stakes limit tourneys are really, really bad players. About two weeks ago I had made the same mistake and cashed somewhere in the 30s.

Later that night, out drinking again with friends, they all started bothering me to tell them what the numbers from "Lost" were so they could put them in the Keno machine again. I refused on the grounds that the last time I hit big and then got fucking arrested the next day, and ended up losing half my bankroll the following week.

Instead, we each (five of us) picked a different number, and made a side prop bet that if we hit all but one, the missing number had to walk home. Sure enough about 2 hours and $60 (playing 50 cents a pull) later we hit it, and mine was the missing number. My keys were promptly confiscated, which was irritating, though I was unconcerned having walked home from the bar we were in on several other occasions.

I quickly made another proposition, "If we hit 5 of 5 before the remaining money runs out, then I get my keys back.", and immediately snatched my keys when we hit 5 of 5 on the very last pull of the night, which scored us a little over $400. We had all gone to this particular bar to support a friend in need of rent money who was tending for the night and only took what we'd put in originally and left the rest as a tip.

On and off over the weekend, I have been following Otis' coverage on the Official Poker Stars Blog rather closely. I highly recommend it, even if it a bit (naturally) biased. He had me totally rooting for Joe Hachem over Dutch Boyd last night, and crushed when it didn't pan out for him. Then I came to my senses and realized that I didn't care if either guy won, as long as it didn't go to another Tiffany Williamson.

If anybody has a Full Tilt bag with the number 4648 on it, please get in touch with me so we can meet up and get us some free iPods. If anybody knows of an online registry for matching these numbers up, please let me know.

Update: The number is actually 4684, and I found this thread on twoplustwo. Guess I'll have finally to give up my lurker status.

I really need to figure out how I'm going to scrape up the $2500 to enter event #13 this friday. There is something about playing in the unlucky numbered event that begins on 7/7 that appeals to me. That, and it's my birthday... and if I need any other reasons, my mom is coming to town on her honeymoon, so an extra excuse to not have to accompany her and her new husband on touristy type tours couldn't hurt.

-Tommy

1 Comments:

Blogger TripJax said...

Man, that post had me laughing.

"Hold my beer fucker..."

haha...

1:45 PM, July 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home