Thursday, July 13, 2006

Titles Are Hard

"We got a eight foot tall blogger? Are you fucking kidding me? Hi, I'm PokerGrub... I just puked in this trash can man." -Iggy

I missed the blogger tournament (I was up all night celebrating my birthday and think I went to bed right around the time it started), but I finally caught up with the bloggers on Saturday night. Like everyone else, I can't remember all the names, so I'm just gonna list a few memorable moments.

- Drinking heavily whilst playing a rousing bout of "Spot the Hooker" with Eva, Iggy, Spaceman, Bobby Bracelet, and Iakaris, and at least 20 others who came and left. I don't think we actually saw that many hookers, but calling them all hookers is just as fun.

- Dinner in Sherwood Forest with most of the same, with the addition of Marty (Iggy's Bodyguard?) and Derek. The waiter sucked, the food sucked, and the 2 hour wait for the food sucked, but the company was good.

- Getting my ass kicked by YoSoyVeneno when I challenged her to a match after hearing that she'd won the RoShamBo tournament earlier in the day. I'm still on RPS tilt after losing to the triple rock. She claimed she didn't want to play for anything higher than $10, to ensure she'd still have cab money. I was totally setup.

- The 6 hour marathon of Pai Gow, constantly taking action on each other's fortune bonuses with Otis, Maigrey (who was actually playing all 4 hands for us, and shall hereafter be the PaiGow Princess to me, since I ended up $175 with her help), Chilly, and some crazy looking filipino dude with a bloodshot left eye named Artoo. I think he stabbed someone in the parking lot when he left the table for about 45 minutes, but he was still cool, and totally into what we were about. SHIP IT!

...

Sunday I went to see the taping at Poker Dome. Never again. Speed poker it may have been, but there was a 15 minute break after every hand where we were subjected to the long rambling speeches of a madman and his candy. Most of the people playing were not really that good, and the player that won did so mainly because he was a card rack like never before seen.

After the show I headed over to the MGM to meet my Mom, but she had just left for dinner with her new husband, so I decided it was a good time to finally go check out the new poker room. When I got there, they needed one more player to get a $60 SNG started, so I jumped in. The structure was awful, with $1k starting chips, 25/50 blinds to start, doubling for each 12 minute level. I bubbled in 3rd. 1st place paid $300 and 2nd $200. I haven't decided yet how I feel about the whole experience, and I think I could have played better (I was drinking, which I usually don't do when I play) so I'll probably try it again sometime.

Actually, that last sentence pretty much sums up my feelings about the blogger gathering as a whole.

-Tommy

2 Comments:

Blogger Ignatious said...

was a pleasure meeting you, sir.

and damn, thanks for that quote. i sure as hell don't remember it but it certainly sounds like me. :)

4:19 PM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger Tommy said...

Pleasure here as well.

And for the record, I'm not eight feet tall... it just looks that way to you little folk.

4:41 PM, July 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home